The side effects of any VLCDs may include:
fatigue or weakness, dizziness, constipation, diarrhoea, dry skin, hair loss, menstrual changes and cold intolerance. More serious side effects include the development of gout and gallstones. However, it is well recognised that any form of weight loss increases the likelihood of gallstone development.
Anyone taking the following medication needs to have doctor approval to follow our programme:
Anti-arrhythmias, Anti-coagulants, Anti-convulsants, Anti-hypertensives, Diuretics, Gout Prevention Drugs or Lithium.
Sometimes, certain people are not suited to a TFR or VLCD and to follow the Slim & Save Lifestyle or Simplicity plan (or any other VLCD) you need to be able to answer NO
to all of the following questions:
- are you under 18 or over 75?
- are you pregnant, given birth in the last twelve weeks or breastfeeding?
- are you lactose intolerant?
- Do you have an allergy to milk?
- Do you have an allergy to soya?
- Have you suffered severe trauma in the last six weeks?
- Have you undergone minor surgery in the last two weeks?
- Have you undergone major surgery in the last twelve weeks?
- Will you be drinking any alcohol whilst on plan? (Alcohol can be dangerous whilst in ketosis).
- Do you have Diabetes type 1?
- If you have Diabetes type 2 do you require medication?
- Do you have liver or kidney disease?
- Do you suffer with any form of acute or chronic renal failure?
- Do you suffer from Porphyria?
- Do you suffer from any Psychotic illness?
- Do you suffer with severe depression or bipolar disorder?
- Do you have a serious heart condition?
- Have you had a heart attack within the last twelve weeks?
- Do you have any serious illness?
- Have you ever suffered with an eating disorder such as Anorexia or Bulimia Nervosa?
- Do you have epilepsy?
- Do you believe you have any health condition that you have not yet spoken to the doctor about?
Anyone intending to follow a VLCD must check with their doctor that a VLCD is suitable for them, and ensure to be regularly monitored by their doctor.