The Slim & Save Lifestyle Plan has been designed by our experts to offer you flexibility and choice. The Lifestyle Plan incorporates your choice of three Slim & Save meal replacement packs and your own choice of a home-prepared meal (low-carbohydrate/high-protein). It is ideal if you want to sit down and have a meal with your family or if you think you will miss having a conventional meal each day. Click here for a complete outline of the Lifestyle Plan.
In essence, it is all about flexibility but remember if you abuse the flexibility then you may jeopardise your weight-loss results. Therefore it is worth thinking about adopting new healthier habits in how you shop for, prepare and cook your chosen meals. Small changes will make a big difference and by following some simple tips you can be slim and healthy with little or no effort at all.
- Try internet or ‘app’ food shopping from the comfort of your own home – a great way to avoid temptations AND to save time
- Always make a shopping list and try hard not to deviate from it.
- Shop on a full stomach, not when ravenous.
- Avoid the aisles where you know you will be tempted.
- Go alone, not with the children (unless they will keep you on track!)
- Give yourself a time limit to avoid lingering too long around food.
- Don’t buy something just because you saw the advert on TV earlier.
- Be ‘label aware’. Manufacturers may explain the nutritional content of one single serving of the product rather than the whole pack.
- Ensure whatever you purchase is allowed on the Lifestyle Plan before you purchase. Check the Lifestyle Database here.
When Preparing High-Protein/Low-Carbohydrate Food
- If you nibble when preparing food, have a glass of water before you start, or cut up some celery to munch.
- Trim off any visible fat from meat and remove the skin from poultry.
- Be honest when you measure – if it says 50ml of something then don’t be tempted to add more.
- Make your own ready meals by preparing more than you need and freezing the rest for convenience.
- Keep a good supply of herbs and spices to add interest to your food when you prepare it.
- Always wash your hands before and after preparing food.
- Leave your kitchen clean and tidy when you finish.
- Don’t store cooked meats next to raw meats.
Learn to know what hunger is
The key to controlling our eating urges or hunger pangs is to understand the difference between real hunger and ‘emotional hunger’. Consider the following: Where possible, stick to a routine of eating at the same time every day. Going back to basics and training your body to eat at given times helps to encourage your metabolism to begin to automatically process in anticipation of food. If your metabolism hits the floor running you will burn more calories.
- Slow down when eating. Put your knife and fork down in between bites, taking time to chew your food properly. If it’s food that you hold in your hand – such as a chicken drumstick – put it down between bites. The longer you take, the less you will eat in between that time when the Hypothalamus sends the first signal of hunger and the second signal to indicate that it is satiated.
- Never eat in front of the television. With your concentration elsewhere, you become a ‘subconscious eater’. Try to eat at the table, with as few distractions as possible.
Building a healthy respect for food and mealtimes is vital to maintaining control over your eating habits. Understanding the importance of hunger, recognising the signs of real hunger as opposed to any other emotional feeling will provide you with the confidence to ignore the cravings, the hunger pangs and of course – the rumbling tummy. Here are some simple and proven tips for avoiding pitfalls at mealtimes:
Top tips for successful mealtimes
- Plan ahead
- Take your time
- Switch off the TV
- Sit down
- Sit at a table if possible – don’t use a tray on your lap
- Drink water before, during and after your meal
- Chew thoroughly
- Put your knife and fork down from time to time
Remember, we are here to help you and you can read more about people just like you who have lost weight on the Slim & Save Lifestyle Plan by visiting our Success Stories page.
Whichever Slim & Save Plan you choose, remember we are now one of the leading diet meal replacement companies in the UK with outstanding customer satisfaction. We believe the reason for our success is our dedicated support team, fantastic tasting range of TFR (Total Food Replacement) shakes, meals, soups and bars, and of course our sensible pricing.